Mandarin News Boot Camp for Young Learners: Jan 21 - Feb 16, 2018 (four weeks)
This is a four-week boot camp for young Mandarin Chinese learners between 10-18 years old. We use a virtual classroom and online news database to enable student-driven content selection, results-focused daily studying, and evidence-based evaluation. You can choose between Traditional or Simplified scripts. On top of that, you get to speak Mandarin with a native speaker twice a week, and present the news you've studied to a supportive audience, while getting feedback from your teacher and peers. All these are jam-packed in one affordable program! Space is limited to 8 seats. So act fast!
- Expand campers' Chinese vocabulary and enhance listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- Build up knowledge base about China's current affairs and history that influences comtemporary China
- Increase motivation and confidence of learning Chinese language and culture
- Find comfort and support among other Chinese learners
- One week prior to start date: We'll prepare you to set your own learning goals and pace! You will receive instructions to self-evaluate and report Chinese language proficiency level to instructor, and log-in detail to a proprietary virtual classroom and news database. You can start using this resource immediately.
- Orientation (2 hours): program overview, digital database (web/iOS/Android) tutorial, phone conversation time slot sign-up, and weekly China news briefing.
- Week-long Guided Study: for 30 minutes a day, you will choose and study Chinese news article(s) based on your level and interest. You will practice listening, reading, writing, before you complete vocabulary and comprehension tests online, to be reviewed by instructor digitally upon completion. If you excel and want to read more, congrats! If you are stuck, help is always an email away.
- Mandarin Conversations (via phone): students can select up to two 30-minute timeslots to practice Mandarin and ask questions with instructor on the phone during the week.
- Sunday Workshops (2 hours): instructor to give a weekly China news briefing, followed by student presentations of news articles and peers Q&A. Beginners who really struggle to carry out conversations in Mandarin will be allowed to use English when necessary.
- Individual Learning Report: Instructor to email individual learning evaluation to students/parents with quantitative results and qualitative feedback.
Fee schedule and refund policy:
- The fee includes one premium account subscription of a proprietary education database during the program period
- To ensure the quality of the program, we are committed to small groups and invested in digital learning platform. Therefore, we have to strictly enforce the following refund policy to avoid significant financial loss. Thank you for your understanding!
- 100% refund will be given if cancelled seven days prior to each term start date.
- 75% refund will be given if cancelled three days prior to the term start date
- 50% refund will be given if cancelled within 72 hours prior to the term start date.
- No refund will be given on or after the term starts. However, the departing student can bring in a replacement student to complete the rest of the term. A brief orientation will be given to the new student and evaluation reports will be developed for both students.
ORIENTATION & WORKSHOP LOCATION: Hanwen School, 1548 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703