Mandarin News Boot Camp for Young Learners: Jan 21 - June 2, 2018 (15 weeks)
We offer a 10% special discount for students who sign up for all three camps by January 21, 2018. You get the most out of your hard-earned money! You'll also benefit from a significant period of ongoing learning. By the beginning of June, you'd have studied at least 15 Chinese news articles of your choice, and greatly improved your conversation skills and confidence!
- Expand campers' Chinese vocabulary and enhance listening, speaking, reading and writing skills
- Build up knowledge base about China's current affairs and history that influences comtemporary China
- Increase motivation and confidence of learning Chinese language and culture
- Find comfort and support among other Chinese learners
- One week prior to start date: We'll prepare you to set your own learning goals and pace! You will receive instructions to self-evaluate and report Chinese language proficiency level to instructor, log-in detail to a proprietary news database, and detail of an English book written by a journalist or a China expert about contemporary China that will be read and discussed. This book will be suitable for students’ comprehensive level and areas of interest.
- Orientation (2 hours): program overview, digital database (web/iOS/Android) tutorial, phone conversation time slot sign-up, weekly China news briefing, and guidance on book discussion.
- Week-long Guided Study: for 30-45 minutes a day, you will choose and study Chinese news article(s) (minimum one piece per week) based on your level and interest. You will complete vocabulary and comprehension tests online, to be reviewed by instructor digitally upon completion. If you excel and want to read more, congrats! Go ahead! If you are stuck, we are here to help you as well. During the week, you’ll also read the assigned chapters of the book. It will be fun with lots of stories and anecdotes!
- Mandarin Conversations (via phone): students can select up to two 30-minute timeslots to practice Mandarin and ask questions with instructor on the phone during the week.
- Sunday Workshops (2 hours): instructor to give a weekly China news briefing, followed by student presentations of news articles and peers Q&A; completed with book discussions. Chinese beginners who really struggle to carry out conversations in Mandarin will be allowed to use English when necessary. Otherwise, we converse in Mandarin.
- Individual Learning Report: Instructor to email individual learning evaluation to students/parents with quantitative results and qualitative feedback.
Fee schedule and refund policy:
- The fee includes one premium account subscription of a proprietary education database during the program period
- To ensure the quality of the program, we are committed to small groups and invested in digital learning platform. Therefore, we have to strictly maintain the following refund policy to avoid significant financial loss. Thank you for your understanding!
- 100% refund will be given if cancelled seven days prior to each term start date.
- 75% refund will be given if cancelled three days prior to the term start date
- 50% refund will be given if cancelled within 72 hours prior to the term start date.
- No refund will be given on or after the term starts. However, the departing student can bring in a replacement student to complete the rest of the term. A brief orientation will be given to the new student and evaluation reports will be developed for both students.
Orientation & workshops location: Hanwen School (1548 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703)